Friday, April 5, 2013

Blended Families

"Expect it will take at least 2 years to reach any kind of normalcy." a quote from class today.
Biological parent needs to be the one to make the heavy acts of discipline, not the step parent. Step parents should take on the role of the "really fantastic aunt or uncle." Both the biological parent and step parent needs to have regular meetings to discuss the needs of the family, the needs of the children, and what they can do to better meet those needs.
      - For my own family I believe those 2 years was more like 2 weeks or 2 months. I believe this is due to the extremely difficult and hostile environment we were coming from that once we were introduced into the new blended family it was instantly and infinitely better than what we knew. We saw a brighter and more secure future than anything else we felt possible before and willingly accepted that. Although the statistics may show 2 years I can say from my own personal experience that there are exceptions to the rule and that I can grow to love my blended family and the new changes without reservation.
       - I feel that for children who are younger the discipline needs to stem from the biological parent. However, as the child begins to mature and becomes an adolescent that the step parent can step in and become the voice of reason and discipline, especially if done with love and respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment